Sunday, January 6, 2008

Yeah - Elmo scares the crap out of me, too.

I don't know what I did wrong in the last 5 years, but my 5-year old's favorite television show isn't Winnie the Pooh or Sesame Street. Nope. That would be too...well...NORMAL.

No. Not my kid. Not in THIS family. This family? We don't do normal. So, in an effort to continue with the family tradition of not so much with the normal - my kid's favorite television show is Ghost Hunters.

So, as I type this we are watching a marathon of Ghost Hunters episodes that we Tivo'd over the last few weeks. Eric and I are sitting in our recliners and Drew is sitting in my lap. About two episodes in he fell asleep in my arms so Eric carefully moved him to the couch.

Now - this is the part where I give you a short description of our house layout. You enter the garage, through a door and into the laundry room. The laundry room opens to a hallway with a bedroom to your right and a bathroom to the left. That short hallway leads directly into the living room. From the couch you can see down the hallway to the backdoor.

I tell you that to tell you this:

The minute Drew is moved to the couch he wakes up. He sits up, looks at me with those enormous brown eyes and says, "Mom, I don't like sitting on the couch when we watch Ghost Hunters."

"Oh Drew. I can reach out and touch you from where I am sitting. You are fine. Just lay still and try to go back to sleep."

"But Mom. When we watch Ghost Hunters that hallway freaks me out."

I suppose I should make him watch Sesame Street instead, but that Big Bird character is WAY scarier than ghosts. It might just make things worse.

As a side note: Drew isn't afraid of Big Bird so much. His nightmare nemesis? Elmo.

I think it's all the giggling.

No comments: