Thursday, October 25, 2007

Testosterone on Ice!!

Drew got his first pair of ice skates for Christmas just before he turned 2. Looking back, the skates were as cute as could be, but it wasn't the smartest purchase we've ever made. He wore them about 4 times and he had already grown out of them. The kid is like a weed! I think I may have surpassed them several times over in the "not such a smart purchase" category. Let's just say that I have been known to make impulse purchases from time to time and those little hockey skates are a prime example.



A few months later, and with slightly smarter parents, Drew got to pick out his second pair of skates. We bought them at the used sports equipment store. They were a little beat up, but they were a perfect fit and they were CHEAP! I love cheap! Whee! In a couple of weeks we have to go and buy his 3rd pair of skates. The kid just won't stop growing despite my best efforts. He's like a puppy - ALL FEET!



Over the last couple of years Drew has taken several skating classes and he is a pretty good skater. He tends to be timid which is surprising since he has no qualms about sliding down a big, snowy hill with sticks on his feet. I suppose if I were wearing shoes with blades on the bottom and standing on ice I would be timid, too (Actually - he is less timid than me so I should probably shut up). He seems to do better when he skates with Eric so we decided to stop putting him in classes and just have Eric teach him. That whole male-bonding thing seems to actually work in this case. Once he is ready for actual hockey then we will go back to classes since hockey obviously requires multiple kids and I'll be damned if I am going to keep having kids for the sake of hockey.



Eric was about 7 when he started playing hockey and he has loved it ever since. He plays several times a week to this day and has visions of Drew hoisting the Stanley Cup. Before Drew could even walk I would hear all about how he was going to teach Drew to skate and then coach his hockey teams and how awesome that would be. I just smiled and nodded and started planning better ways to layer my outfits so that I didn't freeze to the bleachers in the rink. I am STILL working on that one and we practically live at the hockey rink. It's pure luck that I still have all my toes and fingers.



All I know is that Drew has got to be the cutest thing on ice and it is so much fun to sit and watch him and Eric out there skating together. I can already picture the days when Drew is skating circles around his old, decrepit Dad! Hee! In the meantime I suppose Drew and I will just keep cheering Eric on in his hockey games!

No comments: