Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pick your battles, Mom.

Once I became a Mom I realized how few things in this world we actually control. There was a period of time that I truly believed I was the master of my own destiny and everything that happened to me was my choice. Nice try, right?

Now I realize how much impact the rest of the world has on my life. The road rage drivers, the flaky co-workers, the incompetent "customer service" person at AT&T...each and every one of them has some impact on my day. Damn them. Eventually you realize that there are those things you choose to fight about and those things you don't.

Last weekend Drew and I went on a wild Saturday shopping spree where we bought everything from golf shoes to Halloween costumes and we had an absolute blast. Granted, Drew lost interest sometime between the checkout at Toys R'Us and the car, but that is totally beside the point. At no point did he have a temper tantrum and refuse to let me unclick the seat belt to take him out of the car. Ahhh....small victories.

Anyway, the next day we had a few more errands to run and Drew, immediately upon waking, decreed that he was going to wear his Batman costume for the day. I thought about it for approximately 2.4 seconds and realized how easy Decree #2,389 from the Throne of Drew was to accomodate. SO...off we went...me and Batman...

The girls at Starbucks thought it was hysterical. Once Drew decided to roll down his window and "fight" other motorists it became clear that anyone who has a child realizes that the wearing of the Halloween costume on non-Halloween days is one of those fights not worth fighting. I got lots of honks, waves, laughs and knowing grins.

It was actually awesome because for the whole day my little man was a rock star super hero and I haven't grinned for that many consecutive hours in a really long time.

Thank you Drew...

1 comment:

Roni said...

How totally cool. From past experience my reactions were always "no, you will get it dirty" or "no, save it for halloween", when in fact I just didn't want to be embarrased and have people think I didn't realize it wasn't Halloween yet. What a great decision, a great story and a great lesson for the rest of us! Thanks Jayna :)