Friday, October 5, 2007

Drew and his alter-ego

This morning I had the opportunity to sit down with Drew’s pre-K teacher. She wanted to know if we thought Drew was enjoying class. I told her that we have far less of the early morning temper tantrums on school days so that seemed to indicate some level of enjoyment on his part. I think he prefers to sit at home and play video games all day instead of engaging in more noble pursuits like education, but he is no longer steadfastly refusing to leave the house. Don't get me wrong - Drew is a great kid. He is just stubborn and of course it has nothing to do with me being stubborn - how dare you suggest such a thing.


His teacher told me that Drew is doing great in class. He is a very sweet kid who is quite popular with his classmates. He listens well, he picks up after himself and she rarely has to talk to him about the same mis-behaviors twice.

Huh? Did I hear that correctly?

ME: “Where is this wondrous creature of which you speak? Are you sure you know which kid is mine?”
HER: “Why, of course I do. Drew is a great kid.”
ME: “Hmmm. Do you think you could introduce me?”

For about 30 seconds I am convinced she thought I was serious. She did that quick room scan thing looking for help. I laughed to put her out of her misery.


It simply amazes me how a kid that repeatedly kamikaze leaps from the coffee table to the recliner despite many missed landings and a couple of spankings will suddenly revert to a different human the second he is out of my sight. I have this mental picture of Drew saying things like, “Of course I shant misbehave dear care provider. I believe I shall quietly play with this educational toy. If you require my attention simply ask and I shall immediately acquiesce to your request.”

At home it is closer to, “Whadaya want parental unit? I’m busy here. Can’t you see that Lego Luke Skywalker is trying to destroy the Death Star? Go away and come back when I’m done or I’ll call Guido to take out your kneecaps.”


I’ll tell you what though – that kid is a spitfire and I wouldn’t change that. He’s as mouthy as me. Apparently - my Dad informed me with glee - I was just as mouthy at four as Drew is. Is that the karma wheel I hear a’spinnin’?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the lovely Catch 22 or parenthood. We to ohave found that our kids are wonderfully behaved at school and around total strangers, but not us. I guess you always hurt the ones you love?

Roni said...

Ahh the karma wheel. As my daughter gets older I am reminded more and more of my antics as a teenager. And my parents just sit back with these strange grins on their faces! Love the new blogsite.... I've been a longtime lurker of your blogs. You've got a real gift for writing.

Anonymous said...

Karma is alive and well. I see it every day in my glorious children. (It's all Craigs fault, not mine:-P~) Thank God they are behaved for everyone but us!!!!!