Monday, January 23, 2012

Nope...this is so NOT Kansas anymore...

My how things change when you abandon your blog for almost two years. I can assure you I am not anymore clever or funny than I was two years ago. However, I will have lots of interesting stories about life in small town Northern Nevada. Ok...maybe not interesting. More like, "Don't worry, you will thank the Goddess it's me and not you that has to live here because you might just jump in front of a quickly moving method of mass transit except there isn't mass transit here unless you count the buses that take all the people to the mines." Yeah. I said mines.

DISCLAIMER
While I haven't entirely embraced life in a small town I do love my job and I am really happy I have this opportunity. I am working on meeting more people and getting more involved in community activities in order to better appreciate our new town.

DISCLAIMER 2
I mean that with no sarcasm what-so-ever. Strange for me since I am generally all about sarcasm, but in this case I am really sans the sarcasm. And, really, it is quite beautiful here.

Ahem - moving on -

For the purposes of not boring you directly into a coma I will avoid recounting the entirety of the two years my blog was abandoned, but it goes a bit like this:

Lose job, wallow in self-pity, abandon blog, move to new house, wallow in self-pity, do many contract jobs, wallow, get new job, wallow less, have many hot tub parties, open pool, stop wallowing, have many pool parties, get new job in Northern Nevada, move again, resurrect blog motivated almost entirely by complete and utter boredom resulting from move to Northern Nevada.

That pretty much sums it up.

Since moving, my husband, who has clearly made some kind of deal with the devil, has managed to fit 3000 sf of stuff into a 1300 sf house. Granted, only one car fits in the garage due to a truly heinous number of boxes that haven't been unpacked, but it remains a feat of unexplainable sorcery as far as I am concerned. I've learned not to question such things.

In addition to being packed into our new house like sardines - only without the handy roll back lid - we are learning to live with an utter lack of customer service. Store clerks won't wait on you. Servers won't wait on you. Typically, you just wait a while and eventually someone goes, "Oh hey, you've been here a while. Do you need something?" This has resulted in my muttering to myself while gradually increasing volume until Eric finally threatens to duct tape my mouth shut and the employee wanders away because they have lost their train of thought and have no idea why they are standing in front of the crazy mumbling lady.

The upside? We rarely go out and are saving money. The downside is we are starting to get a bit of that snowbound insanity-thing going on and Eric is starting to get a bit concerned I am going to chop through the bathroom door with an axe everytime he has to use the toilet.

Next up -- Our fair town is being invaded by hundreds of Cowboy Poets (I seriously can't make this shit up) from all around the world. Even though I have never heard of it ever in my whole life it is quite a famous event...

...It's a tourist attraction...

...I'm a little scared...and yet, disturbingly intrigued...

No comments: