Friday, February 16, 2007

Why do they call it "the blues" anyway?

Depression is such an odd, odd thing. No one who has experienced it can explain it. No one who hasn't experienced it can even begin to fathom it. I have struggled with depression for most of my life and I have been around a wide variety of friends and family members who also suffered from it at one time or another. I certainly don't consider myself an expert on the subject, but I definitely have some good experience.

I find myself struggling through yet another round of the blues. It is so funny how it happens. I am feeling fine and content and life is great. Then one morning I wake up and everything has changed. Maybe it is raining or cold or I have a headache or I oversleep. It doesn't really matter what it is and most of the time I can't even tell you what it is, but something sends me into a downward spiral. I see it and feel it and I know it is happening. I even tell myself to snap out of it. The problem is that I can't. I just have to ride it out - sort of like the Bush Administration or a tax audit.

The last few weeks have been tough and this week was the worst. I finally took a shower today. First one since Monday morning. Gross - I know. I knew it was gross all week...I just didn't care. Today I decided that I care so I showered. I feel a little better. I smell a LOT better.

I have managed to work. Mostly from home. Drew has been sick so I have been hanging out with the little guy making sure that he gets better. Taking care of him really helps me because I don't focus on me. Not focusing on me is a really good thing when I am down. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you aren't thinking about yourself.

I do want to share some of the things I discover about myself when I am depressed. Most of these are immediately forgotten as soon as I feel better.

1. I am so fat that I am in need of medical intervention and have been know to start researching stomach stapling. I tend to stop eating when depressed and the nice thing about that is my clothes fit better. Unfortunately, I am too depressed to notice or care.

2. I am so ugly I should avoid going into public because it could start a panic. The downside of that is I end up sitting around the house in my grubby pajamas and don't shower. The upside is that I end up sitting around the house in my grubby pajamas and no one has to smell me.

3. I can't do anything right. Ever. I tend to watch a lot of TV when depressed and avoid cooking, cleaning or otherwise acting as a productive member of society. I am not sure there is an upside to this one. I guess I avoid breaking things. That would be sort of an upside.

4. Anger is easier to handle than sadness. Basically what that means is that I am really, really pissed at absolutely everyone for absolutely no reason. Unfortunately that ends up with me having temper tantrums over really stupid stuff. You will probably never see the tantrum though. I have them in my car or in the shower where there is no one around to hear me.

I am sure there are more things to list. I am just too lazy to write them down. Since I finally showered I think I am going to venture out into society and do some errands I have been avoiding. I even put makeup on so there should be no panic!

The sun is out. It isn't too cold outside. There is Starbucks in my immediate future. Today is a good day.

No comments: