Wednesday, January 31, 2007

To snip or not to snip...that is the question.

Drew will be 4 in a few days and Eric and I always agreed that when he turned 4 we would make a decision regarding whether or not we are going to have more kids.

In the beginning Eric wanted 2 kids and I wanted no kids. I eventually came around and I agreed to have one and to enter into future negotiations.

Don't get me wrong; I like kids. Kids are great, but as Drew gets older I find it next to impossible to get excited about bottles, diapers and sleepless nights. Drew can dress himself and wipe his own butt (mostly) and these are good things.

SO...Eric and I started talking a few days ago about which one of us would take one for the team. It was a short discussion. I gave birth - he gets snipped. I'd call that a pretty fair trade.

He fainted; I called the insurance company.

Turns out it is considered an office visit so it only costs $20. Eric resigned himself to his fate and insisted that the procedure wait until hockey season is over so he doesn't miss any games. Hey - a man's got to have his priorities.

Now I am having second thoughts. Do I really want to only have one? Will Drew hate us someday if he doesn't have a brother or sister? Are all only children lonely? Oh - questions to ponder...

No comments: