Monday, September 11, 2006

Air Travel and You: Are delays a curse or a PLAN?

I can NEVER fly without my flight being delayed. My name on any passenger manifest means delays, cancellations, merged flights, overbookings and just about every other type of airline irritation you can think of. I was supposed to be taking off NOW...right NOW...and I am sitting here typing rants to you people. Delayed again.

I wonder - is this the airline industry's way of just beating us down? Do they think that if they overprice the tickets, under offer on hospitality and create tons of fiery hoops for us to jump through that by the time we actually take off we will just smile gratefully and accept our tiny cup of Coke and tinier bag of honey roasted nuts? Is this how the airline industry keeps us complacent? through frustration? It's a pretty good plan actually - I find myself THANKING the surly gate agent for taking my boarding pass with disdain and pointing vaguely at the aircraft sitting in rows out on the puddle-jumper pad. I am almost climbing over the person next to me to shake the flight attendant's hand for shoving a bag in my face and barking, "TRASH" at me as we descend. Ahhh - if only I could find a way to implement this brilliant plan in my own life.

This topic could lead us right into a political discussion of how the entire government's plan is to keep Americans fat and happy while we eat our Super-sized Big Mac meals and watch shows like Friends that keep us laughing and not paying attention to the horrors going on around us. They keep telling us how righteous we all are as we drive our SUVs around listening to bubble gum pop on the radio and talk on our cell phones about the latest sale at Macy's. They over tax us and underpay us and keep us wallowing in the shit stew they have built for us and we freaking THANK THEM for flying the Stars and Bars and playing the national anthem before the Seahawks game. I never really thought of myself as a political person. I never really cared to be really honest, but TODAY I am not content sitting back and listening to all the bullshit they pump down to us. As my dear and brilliant friend Jenny so eloquently states: "I love my country. I just think we should see other people."

No comments: