Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

I have sat here for about half an hour staring at the computer screen trying to write a Valentine's story. I wanted to tell everyone about my love for Eric and the constant contentment and strength I get from our relationship. It hasn't been going so well.

I keep getting distracted by Drew saying, "Mommy, watch this" or "Mommy, listen to this." He crawls into my lap and asks me to transform his Optimus Prime toy into a truck for the 10th time in 10 minutes. I am pulled from my thoughts by the episode of SpongeBob Squarepants on the television. It is the constant activity that is typical for our house.

What I realized is this IS the love story. Eric and I have a relationship that hasn't always been the most traditional. We certainly never followed the "rules" of how you are supposed to meet, fall in love, get married and start a family. We did things our own way and the result has been the most amazing friendship, romance and partnership I could have imagined. Eric is my very favorite person on the planet and the level of love, trust and devotion I feel for him goes far beyond a typical relationship.

We work because we embrace our differences. Eric is a hockey player and a gamer geek and a comic book collector and he loves sci-fi. I am not quite so athletic, I don't understand the concept of gaming, I don't collect anything and I would rather sit and read a book than almost anything else. Somehow it works for us. Our differences keep it interesting and I can always count on Eric for stimulating conversation. We can talk about absolutely anything and I am continuously surprised by our willingness to share ourselves with the other.

I feel like I won the lottery when I met Eric. He is an incredible dad. He always changed diapers and took the middle of the night feedings. As Drew has gotten older Eric is the first one there when Drew cries or needs a hug. Eric keeps our laundry done and most nights he cooks our dinner. He kept Drew entertained so I could study during grad school. He makes sure I wake up on time for work every day - even on the days he could have slept in. In a million different ways, every single day, he reminds me how important his family is to him and how much he loves us.

I wake up every day knowing that wherever I go, whatever I do and whatever hurdles life puts in my path I have the love of an amazing man. A man who is kind, compassionate, affectionate and willing to do whatever he has to do when it comes to his family. He is also the most gorgeous man I have ever met!

On this Valentine's Day I want to tell the world how Eric has shown me what love is and how two people can be a perfect fit for each other simply because they are willing to embrace and encourage their differences. I love you Eric.

Thank you for loving me.

1 comment:

Julie Summers said...

That was really a great read. Thanks for sharing it!